Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments
From: "Steve Muench" <Steve.Muench@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:49:07 -0800
| >  Its the idea of any non xsl vocab inside my stylesheet that I
| > object to.
|
| I don't really think there is much special about the distinction of
| being in the same file. If it's some script inside an msxml:script
| element or an extension function accessed via a java: URI pointing at
| some class that is hopefully on my java classpath, the effect is the
| same: it will either work or it won't depending on circumstances.
| So I don't see stylesheets using msxml:script as any less portable than
| an xsl 1.0 stylesheet using the XSL engine's current java binding to
| an extension function.

Also, realize that since the normal <xsl:import> and <xsl:include>
work for <xsl:script> elements as well, you can create "library"
stylesheets that look like:

 <!-- My library -->
 <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="..." xmlns:foo="..." xmlns:bar="..." >
   <!-- example of ecmascript internal to this (library) stylesheet -->
   <xsl:script implements-prefix="foo" language="ecmascript">
     function upper-case() { }
     function lower-case() { }
   </xsl:script>
   <!-- example of ecmascript external to the stylesheet -->
   <xsl:script implements-prefix="bar" language="ecmascript"
               src="external-uri.js"/>

Then your stylesheet can do:

 <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="..." xmlns:foo="..." xmlns:bar="..." >
    <!-- no extension code in here -->
    <xsl:import href="mylibrary.xsl"/>
    <xsl:template match="...">
      :
     <xsl:value-of select="foo:upper-case(.)"/>
      :
    </xsl:template>
 </xsl:stylesheet>