RE: [xsl] xslt on server-side vs. client-side

Subject: RE: [xsl] xslt on server-side vs. client-side
From: "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsberger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:33:42 -0600
> but given that the current versions of internet explorer, mozilla and
> netscape all support client side xslt, it won't really be long before
> assuming client side xslt support will be reasonable even out in the
> wild.

The day can't arrive too soon!  But I'll take issue with out in the "wild":
the stat's from my last Internet  site (closed late this summer) showed over
30% or so of the users still running (AOL spawned) IE 4 or lower and another
5% or so running WebTV.  Yet another 10 to 20% (depending on the month) ran
some form of Netscape 4.7 or lower... Almost everyone else was running IE 5
or 5.5 (a small trickle of IE 6, Opera and what have you.)  Then there's the
Web crawlers that index the sites.  Any guesses on how many of them could
handle XML/XSLT?

Even within an Intranet, having watched the migration of PC operating
systems at shops where we had over 10,00 PC's in place I can tell you "long"
is a relative term.

Win NT 4.0 is still the standard client here, don't know what service level.
Perhaps 100 out of 2000 workstations are running W2K (mainly the IT
department).  There are likely another 200 or so Unix and Mac clients with
who knows what running on them...