Re: [xsl] The Future of Browser-Bound XML?

Subject: Re: [xsl] The Future of Browser-Bound XML?
From: Francis Norton <francis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 10:54:59 +0100
Hi Wendell,

Wendell Piez wrote:

-But- ... a true XSLFO browser with client-side XSLT might find itself a market niche in some world where the better display semantics (than HTML) would make a difference. Financial services, medical informatics, accounting? SEC filings? XML/XSLT could radically improve the transparency of certain kinds of information sets. And FO does have some features that'd be very nice for hypertext.

I've often wondered whether Adobe Acrobat wouldn't make a nice native XML browser if it had built in FO(and SVG!) support and an XSLT engine. Mind you, I'm not asking them to parse HTML ... wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Well, Adobe make a very nice SVG plug in. It might be possible to make an XSL-FO -> SVG converter - probably not a job for (straight) XSLT as you'd need access to font characteristics in order to do word-placement and wrapping. But an interesting project nonetheless, and you'd get support for embedded SVG for free :)

Francis.

--
"Never mind manoeuvre, go straight at 'em." - Admiral Horatio Nelson