Re: [xsl] Non-well-formed HTML in XSL

Subject: Re: [xsl] Non-well-formed HTML in XSL
From: Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 11:38:16 +0200
Hello Richard,

in my opinion you should not provide such an ugly and fault-prone method. An error in the XSLT you will see at transformation time - the result is valid XML. An error in constructing a "XML-string" using d-o-e you won't see until the result is used. It's an extreme disadvantage. Most cases (as Dimitre said 99,9999%) can be done without d-o-e.

Oh yes indeed it is ugly and evil and wrong and perhaps I should
have made that clearer in my comment, but surely letting people
live in ignoranance of cetain fixes for problems is not a real help.
A lot of developers are in a hurry to meet a deadline and while I
am a real supporer of XSL in my organisation ( small though it is )
there are times when things need to be done quickly.

I'm sorry I just don't think that not mentioning a possible however
ugly fix is the right way to go.

BTW In what configurations doesn't the solution work? This would
be useful knowledge to put in the FAQ if it isn't there already. I know
a lot of developers have to work out this information themselves by
trial and error.

For example in Cocoon d-o-e isn't provided/deactivated.

Richard Mitchell
Software Development Manager
http://www.vbnonline.com/

Regards,