Re: [xsl] Non-well-formed HTML in XSL

Subject: Re: [xsl] Non-well-formed HTML in XSL
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:13:50 -0600 (MDT)
McNally, David wrote:
> > It is a pity that serialization is so tighly intermingled
> > with transformation in the minds of so many people, even
> > though the XSLT spec did reasonably good in separating
> > the issues.
>
> Well, the spec does say that "This specification defines the syntax and
> semantics of XSLT, which is a language for transforming XML documents into
> other XML documents."  It doesn't say it's for transforming one in-memory
> data model to another, though I suppose it should have.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-Introduction

  "A transformation expressed in XSLT describes rules for transforming a
  source tree into a result tree"

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#output

  "An XSLT processor may output the result tree as a sequence of bytes,
  although it is not required to be able to do so"

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#conformance

  "A conforming XSLT processor must be able to use a stylesheet to transform a
  source tree into a result tree as specified in this document. A conforming
  XSLT processor need not be able to output the result in XML or in any other
  form."

   - Mike