Localization and multiple encodings...

Subject: Localization and multiple encodings...
From: Norman Walsh <norm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:12:47 -0400
[Resending]

From: Norman Walsh <norm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26 Jun 1997 08:48:33 -0400

I recently added a localization module to the DocBook style
sheet.  This allows one to customize the generated text (like
the word "Chapter" in running heads) to use the correct
language, for example.

Now I'm struck by the problem of how to handle multiple
character set encodings.  Case in point: Alexander Taranov
kindly sent me a Russian version of the file containing text in
the koi8 encoding.

I can forsee a real problem if this file grows to include
several western European languages, a couple of eastern European
languages, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, and Korean, for example.

What's the best way to handle this situation?  Should each
localization be stored in a separate file in the appropriate
encoding?  Should all these characters be converted to \U-xxxx?

--norm