RE: About the source library

Subject: RE: About the source library
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:23:58 +0000 (GMT)
Didier PH Martin writes:
 > I made changes to Jade but published them with the SGML/XML kit. The changes
did you send them to James?

 > About James. Have you seen James posting messages in this list since the
 > last 6 months? (R: no).
well, i think i have actually, but i take the point.

 > Because of the SGML/XML Kit I have to play or (understand) the code quite
 > often. This is why I proposed to manage patches for the Win32 platform
 > because I cannot do tests on other platforms. Somebody else has to do it for
 > other platforms like Unix (or Linux).
should be no problem finding people to do that :-}

 > Somebody made the suggestion to host the source code management on their
 > server. I asked, how is this going on?
i am now in a position to do it as well. if no-one else is

 > Sebastian, If we want Jade to evolve, we have now to organize ourselves and
 > stop worrying if James will or will not do it. Did he answered on the last
 > comments people made? We have to thanks James for all he did, but it seems
 > that Jade future in our hands now.

as David says, I think that James should be given a chance to have a
good think about this. If he is happy to hand over Jade to a Web-based
maintenance committtee, all well and good. If not, it would only be
polite to start a new `product' with a new name (albeitt based on
James' code, since he is generous in his licensing).

of course, if someone volunteered to rewrite Jade so that the backends
were something like plugins which could be maintained entirely
separately.....

Sebastian