RE: About the source library

Subject: RE: About the source library
From: John McClure <hypergrove@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 19:47:31 -0700
I mentioned SVG. I was remarking about the notion introduced in an earlier
post about outputting to PDF. Scalable Vector Graphics is an XML
implementation of PDF and, as such, can be mixed with other namespace
elements within an XML document. The idea of SVG is to get rid of separate
image files that are referenced in anchor tags.

Adobe itself bows to the pressures of being standardized, so it appears
that they are 'retiring' their PDF in favor of SVG. I don't really
understand why; it probably has to do with Microsoft in some way.

The great thing about PDF is that it does not reflow relative to the size
of the window; it is a static presentation. And SVG delivers the same
function. It does not reflow. [Here I am referring to the text, not the
image].

Another piece of PDF of course are the fonts. With CSS (and XSL) only the
fonts installed on the presentation device are used during presentation
rendition. For PDF, the fonts are/can be embedded within the entity. And
SVG delivers the same function (altho rather primitively in the first
release, so I understand).

So, I was suggesting to output from the FOT to SVG, and let the open source
browsers be responsible for the actual rendition to print and or to
display.

Apologize for lurking, folks, but I am only a 'little schemer', hoping to
eventually be 'seasoned'....
John