RE: page breaks and bottom alignement

Subject: RE: page breaks and bottom alignement
From: "Frank A. Christoph" <christo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:30:41 +0900
> From the spec I read
>
> (display-space length-spec #!key min: max: conditional?: priority:)

> How do I construct a display-space, which eats up all avail space
> except those 5-10 lines (from 5 FOs) I have at the page?

Excuse my pessimism, but I think if you are doomed if you try to mess around
with variable-size spaces, or leave any significant portion of the space
distribution up to the backend's fitting algorithm. DSSSL has almost nothing
to say about how vertical space should be distributed, and practically any
reading of the min: and max: and nominal values will produce a conforming
DSSSL implementation. Consequently, you will almost certainly not get the
same behavior across backends. In fact, the reason DSSSL is so loose about
this fact is probably precisely so that it can support diverse backends, all
of which have their own way of doing fitting and pagination.

--FC