Re: alternating tags in a list?

Subject: Re: alternating tags in a list?
From: Sean Mc Grath <digitome@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 14:43:33 GMT
>Paul Prescod wrote
>>As James Clark has pointed out on several occasions, if you want to turn
>>every other row in a table blue, this is *trivial* in DOM code.
>How do you know that you want to turn every other row blue?

[Andy Dent]
>ie: who writes the DOM code and where is it executed?
>
>Isn't this just shifting a responsibility around, but admitting that the
>declarative model can't supply this by itself?
>
>How do I tell a browser that every 2nd line should be blue?
>
>I'd prefer to see the declarative language capable of defining this kind of
>event.

Trouble is, to deal with everything you might wany you end up
converting your declarative language to an imperative one.
You need a fully blown programming language. Striking
a balance between declarative simplicity and imperative
expressive power is hard. Warning bells go off in my
head whenever I see procedural programming stuff
popping up in declarative syntaxes i.e.
        <if>, <while>, $if$, eval() etc.

The world is full of perfectly good little programming
langauges and if there one thing the world does not
need it is yet another way of
expressing "if [condition] then [statement]."!
</Sean>
http://www.digitome.com