RE: A theory problem

Subject: RE: A theory problem
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 10:05:31 +0100

> [James Clark]
> >> A path expression has the property if
> >>
> >> (a) it doesn't use / and the axis is a forward axis, or
> >>
> >> (b) it is a / expression, and the left hand operand has the
> >> "single-level" property and the right hand operand has the
> >> "stays-in-subtree" property.
>
> [Michael Kay]
> >This is nice and clean, but it doesn't seem to catch
> >child::A/child::B/child::C.
>
> Do you mean as a select or as a match pattern?  As a select,
> child::A is
> single-level and child::B has stays-in-subtree; taken together,
> child::A/child::B is single-level and child::C has stays-in-subtree.

We're talking about expressions not patterns, since document order is
irrelevant in patterns.

James' definition of "single-level" was that a set of nodes was single level
if they all had the same parent; therefore child::A/child::B is not single
level. This is why I was trying to use a more general concept of "peer"
nodes.

Mike