Re: Unicode in xsl

Subject: Re: Unicode in xsl
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 20:40:26 -0600 (MDT)
> I checked some other sites and found some of the answers though I need to
> clarify them with u all.Thanx if someone has responded to this question
> already though I doubt it cause of the speed of our mail server :)

The speed of mulberrytech's mail server is pretty bad. If I am lucky
there's only a 1 hour delay between my mail being handed off to their
server and it being delivered back to me through the list. They are using
Sendmail for their MTA, which we found at hyperreal/apache.org was very
inefficient at delivering mail for multiple, high-traffic mailing lists.
We switched to qmail a long time ago and never looked back. It has been
great.

> >1) We use &#160; for nbsp. What is the difference between this one and
> &#x160;? Using 'x' is unicode?

160 is decimal. x160 is hexadecimal.

An XSLT document is an XML document. Character references are explained in
the XML 1.0 Recommendation.

> I dont have to specify encoding attribute for them,right?

No. Character references in XML are referring to ISO/IEC 10646-1:1993
"Universal Character Set" characters by their code points as defined in
that standard.

> >2)What is the difference between ISO-10646 and Unicode?.

ISO/IEC 10646-1:1993 (+ amendments) and The Unicode Standard version 2.0
are essentially equivalent. The specifications are developed in tandem but
are published by different bodies. Go to amazon.com or your local computer
book shop and buy The Unicode Standard 3.0. It will have everything you
need from ISO/IEC 10646-1:1993, and more.

> >3)What is the way to use the unicode characters in my xsl?.
> By using 'x' right?

It doesn't matter.

> >4) Are there only 2 encoding in xsl?.
> utf-8 and iso-8859-1 or can I use up to iso-8859-9?

Any XML document, whether it is XSL or not, can use any encoding. In order
to be assured of being readable by a conforming XML processor, the
encoding must be UTF-8 or UTF-16. Some XML processors accept other
encodings.

Go look at my site. http://www.skew.org/xml/tutorial/

   - Mike