Re: [xsl] best way to generate form from xml+schema?

Subject: Re: [xsl] best way to generate form from xml+schema?
From: Graham Seaman <graham@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:35:50 +0100 (BST)
On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, cutlass wrote:

> Hello Graham,
>
> so you are looking for a c++, c, perl server side open source solution.
>
> your best bets are
>
> a ) AxKit, which uses sablotron ( though dont know where axkit has gone to
> these days as i think it is being integrated with Apache possibly ), but
> sablotron can be used www.gingerall.com
>
> b) Saxon comes in , an Instant form at saxon.sourceforge.net
>
> c) mod_xslt is a mod extension to Apache
>
> all involve a learning curve, within xslt and outside ( especially setting
> up mod_perl for use with mod extensions ).
>
> in addition u could use the Apache Xalan c++ xslt processor.
>
> good luck, jim fuller

I'm actually using the gnome libxml/libxslt libraries (which have been
fine so far and quite fast; thanks Daniel!).
I'm using the Perl XML::LibXML and XML::LibXSLT modules (from Axkit) as
front ends, called from mod_perl. These seem ok so far.
I've avoided using the full Axkit, partly because I want to learn how to
do this stuff for myself, partly because I'm unsure of the current status
of Axkit given that the website is down.

>From what I've seen so far, I'd say this combination is a good addition
to your list above, and easy to get set up and running (on Unix, anyway).
Debugging output is a bit limited compared with Xalan (the only other
XML/XSL processor I've tried), and I believe libxml is slightly less
strict than Xalan (for example, I've found differences over acceptance of
multiple charsets in a single xml file: libxml accepts and processes this,
xalan doesn't).

One thing I haven't tried yet (but will soon) is using extensions: I know
libxslt supports these, not certain about XML::LibXSLT.

best wishes
Graham