Re: [xsl] CSS

Subject: Re: [xsl] CSS
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 01:57:52 -0600 (MDT)
Jarkko Moilanen wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, David Carlisle wrote:
> > > ... only to discover the CSS code missing, due to it being a comment in the
> > >XSLT stylesheet. The solution:

> > >     <xsl:comment>
> > >    p.element-syntax { border: solid thin }code { font-family: monospace }
> > ></xsl:comment>
> >

> > surely a better solution is

> >     p.element-syntax { border: solid thin }code { font-family: monospace }
> >
> > Are there really any HTML browsers being used that will render the
> > content of a <style> element? (This was presumably the excuse for
> > putting things in a comment)
>

> Not that I know of.

I was trying to be like Jeni, making a guess as to why the original poster
thought that he could not use CSS with XSLT, and dispensing advice
accordingly.. It is (or used to be) a FAQ that comments, such as those used to
hide scripting code (CSS, JavaScript, whatever) aren't "copied through" from
the stylesheet to the result, as literal result elements are.  The standard
answer is to suggest the use of xsl:comment to achieve the desired effect.

Whether or not the scripting code really needs to be in a comment is not the
point. It seemed like an innocuous suggestion, to me, since even if I had not
correctly guessed what the original poster meant, making the suggestion
to use xsl:comment to generate comments was sure to benefit *somebody*.

It's becoming an increasingly rare event when I feel like helping anyone on
this list anymore. I can't count the number of times I've started to respond
to someone's question, written nearly a book-length response, then deleted it
without sending because, at the risk of sounding like a snob, I concluded that
the person doesn't deserve the assistance. Now when I do hit the send button,
I tend to regret it more often than not.