[xsl] Evaluating XSLT2 from code

Subject: [xsl] Evaluating XSLT2 from code
From: Andrew Sharpe <andrewrwsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:53:31 -0400 (EDT)
I would like to be able to evaluate XSLT2 expressions
against a DOM from within Dotnet.  I say XSLT2 instead
of XPATH2 because I need to be able to use the new
format-date function available in XSLT2 (not part of
the XPath spec).  I have evaluated other date
formatting approaches in XSLT1 and find them to be
insufficient for what I need to do.

Currently I am going through the painstaking process
of wrapping the expression in an XSLT2 stylesheet,
saving that stylesheet out to disk, and then executing
Saxon8 as a separate command-line process and
redicting the standard output of that process to my
Dotnet program.  Surely there must be a better way.

I have taken a look at Saxon.NET and find it to be a
great idea but can't get even the simplest of
in-memory transformations to work with a DOM.
Examples are almost non-existant and their mailing
list has been completely unresponsive.

So to simplify, I would like to evaluate
"format-date(/sample/path/@date, '[M]-[D]-[Y]')"
against a DOM from within my Dotnet application.  Any
ideas at all would be much appreciated.  Thanks in

Andrew Sharpe
Moncton, NB

Do You Yahoo!?