Re: [xsl] plea for help...

Subject: Re: [xsl] plea for help...
From: Ivo Toby <ivo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 18:29:54 +0100
Hi,

Congrat's with the job!

I just saw your plea for help on the XSL-list. And I have kind-of a
solution.
I've been working on making a XML/XSL based PHP5 (OOP)-solution for a
while now, and got to the point that I wanted to implement some kind of
XML-wysiwyg-editor (GPL) for end users. I looked at Bitflux XML-editor,
but that wasn't easy to use. Finally I choose to use a really good
inline-xHTML-editor, tinyMCE, and translate the xHTML input into my
"customer" XML-markup using a XSL-stylesheet. The resulting XML was
stored into a database.

This publishing system, called WPS (or YaWPS), will be released
open-source in a while, but I do not mind sharing any of the resources
in advance;
The stylesheet to translate xHTML to XML (a markup I came up with for my
customers to use, you might want to change that to your needs):
http://xsl.i-v-o.nl/tiny_mce/xHTML2XML.xsl
And from my XML to xHTML:  http://xsl.i-v-o.nl/client.xsl (view the
source from that)
Any other info on the WPS is still in dutch only...

Good luck!

Ivo Toby

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 16:45 -0600, Walter Torres wrote:
> I just started a new job! (3 years unemployed is murder!)
>
> We need to convert 4000 HTML files into XML (my concept to get them into
> the later 20th!)
>
> Well, now that I've sold the idea, I'm stumped on how to do it.
>
>  1) convert HMTL into well formed HTML (many are not)
>  2) convert well formed HTML into xHTML
>  3) convert xHTML into XML
>  4) create XSLTs to transpose XML back to HTML for page display
>
> It's been a few years since I did XML/XSLT
>
> If someone has a kind heart, and an the expereince, I'd like to talk about
> the best way to convert these, and then built the XSLT to convert them
> back to HML for display.
>
> I'm reading Kays book (again), I'm playing with XML in PHP5, so I'm not a
> complete novice on this, just a bit rusty.
>
> Also, how do you deal with display characteristics in XML? Like BOLD and
> ITALIC, or even BULLET LISTS (<ul><li>)
>
> These files are magazine articles, so this kind of formatting needs to
> stay, but the other display charateristics will be pulled off into the
> XSLT.
>
> Thanks
>
> walter

Internet voor ondernemers