Re: [xsl] Future of XSL Stylesheet Writing?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Future of XSL Stylesheet Writing?
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:26:12 +0100
On 28/09/2007, James Fuller <james.fuller.2007@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There are always other factors that determine successful software, and
> usually change is imposed by fundamental shifts in hardware.  I
> believe these fundamental hardware improvements will eventually push
> us into using languages that are designed for parallel processing;
> which may mean that XSLT loses out.

Until there's a better way to manipulate XML I imagine XSLT will be
around as a long as XML is...   (and isn't XSLT ideally suited for
parallel processing?)

Slightly OT: I think the link below might be it, but I remember
reading that chips are on the horizon that can take instructions from
a single thread, identify which ones can be safetly run in parallel
and then run them concurrently.  That is, improve performance of a
single threaded app by using hardware mutithreading:

http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/chip_multi_thread.html

Also, the new(ish) concurrency features is Java make writing
multithreaded apps much easier, so win-win.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com