Re: [xsl] Future of XSL Stylesheet Writing?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Future of XSL Stylesheet Writing?
From: "James Fuller" <james.fuller.2007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:20:27 +0200
Hello,

I will guess that XSLT will remain relevant for the next 3-4 years,
with 7 years being the 'horizon of relevant usage' tailing off past
that time (critical systems going into maintenance mode will always
need experts to maintain).

As an aside, I have based my time predictions on other events in the
future, for example 2013/2014 is the date whereby most geophysicists
and petro companies see oil usage/price attaining the critical break
even point where all sorts of things become vastly unprofitable (like
shipping a banana a few thousand miles).... there will be a
significant impact on computing at this time as people will start (in
western countries this will start; this type of decision is being made
now in third world countries) making decisions like 'should I drive'
or 'should I use the internet' .... no doubt the former will win out.

There are always other factors that determine successful software, and
usually change is imposed by fundamental shifts in hardware.  I
believe these fundamental hardware improvements will eventually push
us into using languages that are designed for parallel processing;
which may mean that XSLT loses out.

hth, Jim Fuller