RE: [xsl] Future of XSL Stylesheet Writing?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Future of XSL Stylesheet Writing?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:58:34 +0100
> I remember reading that chips are on the horizon that can take
> instructions from a single thread, identify which ones can be
> safetly run in parallel and then run them concurrently.

Well, there's been an element of that kind of parallelism (processor
pipelining and instruction lookahead) for years - but no doubt it will keep
getting smarter.

But I agree, writing in XSLT seems a pretty good way to make sure your
programs can take advantage of parallelism. Compilers may not do it today,
but they will pretty soon. A language without assignment statements has a
great advantage when it comes to parallel execution.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/