Re: [xsl] XSLT functions for JSON

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT functions for JSON
From: "Colin Adams" <colinpauladams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 06:02:40 +0100
2008/5/19 James Fuller <james.fuller.2007@xxxxxxxxx>:
> using JSON's serialization format for javascript objects, as a generic
> approach to marshalling data over the wire is probably ok ...  though
> I see the decision to use JSON as an exercise in late optimization. I
> have yet to employ this optimization in any production.
>
> I know that javascript is everywhere and is part of the web and people
> use it and thusly want to use things like JSON ... but comparing (not
> saying this thread is doing this) it to XML is 'apples' and
> 'airplanes' ... also there is no reason why the OP can't write their
> own extension function.
>
> I am not against JSON ... I like little domain text based languages
> (cue perl, sed, awk, ack) but we live in a world where the web is
> mostly markup; XML is effectively HTML's brother and they share an
> enormous toolbase ('view source' anyone) and heritage which must be
> compelling at many levels.

What about YAML?

YAML 1.2 is a pure superset of JSON, I believe. And there is some work
going on to define an XML <-> YAML mapping (but it may be a subset of
each).
If this mapping were to be settled, then you could use that for the
transformation.

On the whole, i don't really see any advantage in these things over XML.