[xsl] nbsp and copy-of and output xml

Subject: [xsl] nbsp and copy-of and output xml
From: Henner Graubitz <graubitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:59:18 +0200
Hi Andrew,

once again thank you for your quick reply.

You are right: I need xhtml as output. To explain a bit the background:

I want to display a calendar on the web in XHTML 1.1 Format. What I do
is I prepare - with all entries from the database - an xml-file using
jdom - specially for the calendar I add the element table, tr, td. etc.

So finally  I have an xml file similar like this:

Sometimes there are no entries for a special day, so I have to replace
these entries with &nbsp; : OTHERWISE the calendar collapses.

OK, next is I have my xsl - file: because this calendar is very special
I just want to make an <xsl:copy-of select="table"/>.

Via a servlet and xalan I transform the xml-file and the xsl file to
HTML and create the output.

I have to do this because our layout changes really often: so in future
time I just change the layout, use the same xml file and have a totally
new layout in warp time.

The thing is: when I use #160 the non-breaking space is displayed as
this "special character". So the whole calendar collapses.

Have a look here what I am talking about:

http://bauhaus.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/cms/index

This is the calendar I am talking about.
See the "spaces" for Montag (= Monday), Dienstag (=Tuesday) ....
With &nbsp; the calendar looks like my boss wants. With #160 it looks
shitty.

But another restriction is it must be XHTML 1.1 because the side has to
be barrier free.

Maybe you have some addresses where I can find sample code to produce
ouptut="xhtml". Just need a little idea how to do this.

At the moment I am helpless.

Thanks for that

Holm