Re: [xsl] nbsp and copy-of and output xml

Subject: Re: [xsl] nbsp and copy-of and output xml
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:11:34 +0100
> The thing is: when I use #160 the non-breaking space is displayed as
> this "special character". So the whole calendar collapses.

This is a really common problem... google for #160 and multibyte utf-8
character to see all of the previous posts and answers about it.

In this case, ensure you're outputting the correct meta - yours currently says:

but the charset should be utf-8 - (the "special character" is the
first byte of the 2 bytes used for #160 in utf-8, which is visible
because you're reading it in the single byte encoding 8859-1)

That's first step of many that might be needed, but it may be sufficient.

> Maybe you have some addresses where I can find sample code to produce
> ouptut="xhtml". Just need a little idea how to do this.

Instead of Xalan, use Saxon (from www.saxonica.com) and then just use
the xhtml output method.  Anyone currently using Xalan should use
Saxon and XSLT 2.0.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com