Re: [xsl] [XSL-FO] Way to include an outside stylesheet?

Subject: Re: [xsl] [XSL-FO] Way to include an outside stylesheet?
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:06:21 -0500
Colin,

If your stylesheet has something like this at the top:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; ...

then it is XSLT. (Yes, XSLT is used routinely to generate XSL-FO. "XSL", in fact, properly means the combination of XSLT and XSL-FO, even if it's also commonly used to mean XSLT without XSL-FO.)

So you have xsl:include, xsl:import, templates and the entire range of XSLT functionalities available.

In fact, if you find you are writing lots of xsl:if or xsl:choose instructions, chances are good that you could improve your XSLT quite a bit. In XSLT, conditional processing is often done in other ways, and usually more gracefully.

Most of what you learn when you use XSLT to generate other formats (such as HTML) will also apply when using it to make XSL-FO.

So, absolutely, yes, go for it.

(If you aren't using XSLT, then can you explain how you are generating your XSL-FO?)

Cheers,
Wendell