R: R: [stella] Status: RESCUE.BIN

Subject: R: R: [stella] Status: RESCUE.BIN
From: "Piero Cavina" <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 21:46:13 +0200
> Da: Greg Troutman <mor@xxxxxxx>
> A: stella@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Oggetto: Re: R: [stella] Status: RESCUE.BIN
> Data: giovedì 14 agosto 1997 14.26
>
> Piero Cavina wrote:

> > While the game looks very good, I think that there's something wrong in
the
> > gameplay: it is too easy.
>
> It's a demo.  I can make it *much* more difficult ;)

I have no doubts :)

> > 3- sometimes there are two of them in the same horizontal line and they
may
> > have opposite directions
>
> Double sprites are no longer working in mine.  I changed around the
> asteroid movement and need to figure out what I did wrong.

About double/triple sprites... I've used them a lot in my game, but I had
to face the following problem:

when, let's say, a double-medium distance sprite is near the right edge of
the screen you get something like this...

!           O!
!O           !
!            !

that is, the right copy appears at the left in the lines below.

I hadn't really done a lot of experimentation on this subject, but I
decided that I wasn't able to let a double sprite enter smoothly in the
screen without such "side-effects", and I had to find another solution.

However, that should be possible to do... look at "Megamania"!!

Can you tell me anything about this subject?

BTW... the solution I had found, that you can see working in my program is
the following...:

each sprite has an associated status byte with information about the
"needed number of copies" and the "current number of copies". The second is
used in the screen kernel, and it is derived from the first according to
the horiziontal position of the sprite.

For example, consider a 3-copies sprite (! = right margin of the
playfield):

      O O O!     needed copies=3, current copies=3
       O O !     needed copies=3, current copies=2
        O O!     needed copies=3, current copies=2
         O !     needed copies=3, current copies=1
          O!     needed copies=3, current copies=1

The interesting fact is that it's not as complex to code as I thought!
(tables, tables, tables... :)

> > - double the number of asteroids with sprite multiplexing: you could
put
> > the left-to-right moving ones in the even frames, and the right-to left
in
> > the odd frames.
>
> I don't want flicker.

What about a "I DONT'T LIKE FLICKER" t-shirt? :))

> One thing I figure I'll do to increase difficulty is to reposition the
> men so they give you less platform space on which to land.  I also think
> repositioning one or more enemies on the return flight so that they
> change direction and "chase" your ship will make it more challenging.

Random or patterned changes in asteroids direction (and speed, why not) is
a very good idea.

P.