[stella] Re: Flash colours

Subject: [stella] Re: Flash colours
From: Robin Harbron <macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 09:00:27 -0400
Piero Cavina wrote:

> > This brings to mind another 2600-esque trick played on the Commodore 64,
> > this time not to make up for a lack of sprites but a lack of color.  The
> > game "Creatures" created "grayish" versions of colors by interlacing
> them.
> > Perhaps you could do the same to certain objects in order to make up for
> > the shortfalls of the 2600's palette; there is also no grayish-purple
> > in the TIA.  Though on emulators, the difference in sync rates would
> > "give it away".

I've been experimenting with these on the C64 - they're commonly
called flash colours.  It simply means you just display different
colours on alternate frames, so that the two blend into one.  Do
any games do this on the Atari?  It would work better on the
Atari than the 64 - on the 64 few colours mix well, as they have
to be of pretty near identical intensity - with the wider # of
colours available on the 2600, there would probably be a much
greater number of possible matches... I just noticed the mix
colours in Mayhem in Monsterland this morning, BTW :)

Robin Harbron
macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx