RE: [stella] Duel Arena

Subject: RE: [stella] Duel Arena
From: Robert "A." Colbert <colbertb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 07:52:39 -0500
>Reply to your message of 9/2/97 3:53 PM
>BTW, Bob, I've noticed a few things from the raw
>output:
>The Supercharger Notes by Christopher Salomon say that the header
>is a series of $AA's, while makewav puts out $55's.  I realize
>this is 10101010 and 01010101, does the Supercharger care which
>if it starts on a 0 or a 1?  And the Notes state that there should
>be a 0 byte following the header, while Makewav puts just an
>extra bit?  Is that why the last byte of the header is a $54
>(01010100)?

Well, the SC looks for a series of 1's and 0's for the header tone.  Yes, an $AA is 10101010, and adding an extra 0 bit would be just fine, but a series
of $55's and then a $54 is so much easier to implement :)  It's the same thing though.  At any rate, I believe that the $55 was used originally because the value used for checksums in the tape format is $55.

				Bob

Wanna write a game for the Atari 2600?
Check out http://www.novia.net/~rcolbert