RE: [stella] correct behavior of multi.bin (Bob Colbert's game)

Subject: RE: [stella] correct behavior of multi.bin (Bob Colbert's game)
From: Robert "A." Colbert <colbertb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 16:06:32 -0600
>I would try real
>hard to create patterns which avoid situations with too many sprites
>intersecting.

Yes, that is my intention.  I have the sprites bouncing around for debugging purposes, but objects will be placed so they don't cause a ton of conflicts.  For instance, say a helicopter is flying around and drops a paratrooper.  Now say it drops another.  The 2 paratroopers would be dropped so that they are falling at the same speed.  Now say the player shoots the parachute on the second paratrooper.  That paratrooper's speed will increase and he will pass the first paratrooper - while passing the two will flicker, but at least you will see this happen, and it won't last long.  Now there may be another helicopter, or an airplane above the first helicopter, if it also drops a paratrooper, the third paratrooper and the helicopter will conflict briefly and flicker, but again, that won't happen for long.  So I feel that once the game is written, it will be pretty rare for more than 3 sprites to conflict at any given time...

>I mentioned Spider Fighter before, and I think if you
>shoot for a sort of midway point between that game's constrained sprite,
>but no flicker, model, and a less-constrained, but 30hz flicker, model,
>you might hit the nail on the head...

Just about what I'm looking to do.  So basically, what I am shooting for is constraining the sprites much of the time, but when I need to use the "smart" algorithm I can :)

>Just thinking out loud.

I appreciate that!  I think you will get a better idea of my intentions as I add some AI to the enemies, which should start happening soon.

				Later,
					Bob

Wanna write a game for the Atari 2600?
Check out http://www.novia.net/~rcolbert