Re: [stella] Cool new toy!

Subject: Re: [stella] Cool new toy!
From: Chris Wilkson <cwilkson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 23:05:58 -0800 (PST)
> Ah, the joy of logic analyzers.  One of my jobs at my last employment
> (before Metrowerks) was to develop microcontroller code for pagers.
> We uses big HP16550 logic analyzers... they cost anywhere from $2kK to
> 60K, depending on the features and memory.  Basically, they record all
> the logical states of the signals going to and from the chips on the
> boards.  Using these, you can tell exactly what the CPU is doing at
> any point in time.  Very useful, especially when you've got no OS and
> no reliable code on a machine.
>
> Figuring out the logic of a program from its logic trace was my
> specialty... lots of fun bugs, like the program that wouldn't
> initialize because the entry point was above 64K, but the hig address
> pins were set for I/O and logically low after reset.  Fun like that.

Did you mean 16550 or 1650?  I have a 1650, and if it's worth that much,
I certainly won't be using it much longer!  $$$

Heehee!  One of my first large logic projects decoded the address lines
looking for the reset vector.  If it found the vector, it would wait a
few milliseconds then force a reset (flaky chip).  But the timing was
asynchronous, so the reset never happened at the same time in the code.

Yeah...fun like that. :)

-Chris