Re: [stella] 4 colour playfield - final R&D demo

Subject: Re: [stella] 4 colour playfield - final R&D demo
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 16:41:00 +0200
At 06:27 15.05.98 +1000, you wrote:
>Aaargh. Yes.
>OK, I've fixed it once again  - I appreciate all you guys helping me out,
>here.  When I display many more lines than necessary, my monitor seems to
>synch and I'm blissfully unaware of any problems.  However, I'm fairly ...
>uh... hopeful... in saying that THIS version is OK.  Once again the line
>count screwed me up.  If you need to change it, there's an equate at the top
>of the source code - TOTLINES.  Change that.

I have to disapoint you. This version is missing 15 scanlines.
For my TV this number is already small enough to not being able
to sync to it. But after I changed the TOTLINES in your source
code, everything worked fine.

This version flickers a lot less, than the last one, but
that may also be due to the fact, that you don't have big
areas of playfield anymore. Unforunately the colours are
a bit hard to tell apart in finer structures. If you can
manage to create playfield structures, where the blocks are
big enough to distinguish the colours, but small enough for
not to flicker too much, I would say, that this technique
is good enough for being used in a game.

BTW the colours in PAL are pink background and green, turquoise
and dark turquoise playfield. That doesn't look too good. Maybe
you can create a version with better PAL colours.
(PCAE 2.0b lets you toggle between PAL and NTSC palette with
the F3 key)

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg