Re: [stella] Credits (again) using venitian blind

Subject: Re: [stella] Credits (again) using venitian blind
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 17:41:30 +0200
At 14:54 06.06.99 -0700, you wrote:

>I originally wanted to see if we could generate a credit scroll using the
>2600 that might be legible enough for me to use for the documentary.  The
>solutions people came up with involved flicker, which I don't think will be
>acceptable.

What I don't understand is why flicker is unacceptable but interlacing
is mandatory? AFAIK a NTSC TV does 60 frames per second. The even frames
show the even scanlines of the picture while the odd frames show the
odd scanlines. A 30 Hz flicker display does pretty much just that,
except that it dosn't alternate whole scanlines, but only small parts
of them. Why isn't that acceptable for the video project?

And why do the 60 Hz VCS display have to be artificially interlaced
when even TV stations use low res 60 Hz graphics for the logo that they
insert into the TV broadcast or for those scrolling stock prices on the
bottom of the screen in buisines shows?

>I was just thinking, when looking at the chess kernel, that it should be
>possible to have 12 characters across using tripled sprites using this
>routine, without flicker.

>Plus, by using all of the sprites you can probably also support
>underlining, plus the missiles and ball can be used for bullets,
>apostrophes or colons.

I think that getting 12 characters this way would be possible, but
also using the missiles and ball would probably not work. If you
set the sprite to 3 copies, the coresponding missile would display
3 copies too. Besides having to do all the extra positioning would make
the code unnessessary complicated.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg