Re: [stella] Thrust 1.0

Subject: Re: [stella] Thrust 1.0
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 15:28:49 +0200
>I could double this data to another bank and move these routines, but
>i don't like that idea. It's bad coding vs. my own ego ;-)

There is no bad coding if it comes to VCS games. ;-) Besides, you still
have one completely unused bank in your game, and whether you waste the space
there with lots of $FFs or with some doubled data shouldn't make any
difference to the pride that you feel for your work. ;-)

Also BITTE BITTE BITTE mach dass das Spiel auf meinem RAM Modul laeuft. ;-)

>Another idea: Is it possible to make the game use about 55Hz? Or are the
>the TVs fixed to 50 and 60 Hz?
>This would give me some extra time, and i could make the screen a bit
>larger.

This is not a good idea. Usually TVs have some tolerance in the frequency,
but 55Hz is already too low for enough NTSC TVs to be a problem. Greg
Troutman recently changed his TPS, because he was doing about 20 scanlines
per frame too many and several people who had bought his game complained
about a rolling screen.

PAL TVs should be able to handle 55Hz though. And most NTSC TVs should
be able to display more than the 192 lines that Atari suggested for VCS
games. So if you want to extend the visible part of your game that should
be no problem, as long as you make sure that the overall number of lines
per frame remains 262.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg