[stella] New game concept

Subject: [stella] New game concept
From: Joe Grand <jgrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 22:55:40 -0500
Hi guys-

I've been lurking on this list for a few months (and a few years ago, as
well) and have been toying with the idea of writing up a 2600 game for some
time.. I have a concept that I'll run by everyone and see if it is
do-able/play-able.

I think I'm going to have some trouble describing it, so if you have
questions, feel free to ask :) It is a combination-of-sorts between Simon
(the Milton-Bradley game) and Kaboom!. For purposes of the description, I
am assuming folks know how a hard drive works (description can be found at
http://www.howstuffworks.com/hard-disk.htm?printable=1)  Check out the
picture in the "Storing the Data" section as you read the next paragraph:

The player will control the hard drive head (i.e. can move it left or right
between tracks using the paddle). The hard drive platter will spin
clockwise (starting slowly). One sector in each cluster (column) will be
illuminated. The player needs to move the head back and forth and hit the
button when the lighted sector is under their head (essentially "reading"
the sector). After the player "reads" 8 sectors, the platter will increase
in rotation speed (i.e. the next level) and another combination of sectors
will be illuminated. Speed will increase for every 8 sectors the player can
read. Each sector needs to be read in sequential order (i.e. one column
after the next). The player will lose (or the game will be over) if they
miss an illuminated sector. Scoring will be based on the number of sectors
the player successfully read (or something like that).

Got it? :) Let me know any ideas/comments you have! Hopefully a game like
this doesn't already exist..

Joe