Re: [stella] Gunfight 2600: Little progress...

Subject: Re: [stella] Gunfight 2600: Little progress...
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:08:29 +0100 (CET)
Glenn Saunders wrote:

> The flickering is constant, isn't it?  If it were variable flicker, that
> would help a lot, although it would be a trickier kernel.

That's a good point Glenn, I'll have to examine that. One problem here could be the necessary RAM. For example, this is the RAM usage of Colberts sprite multiplexer:

hpos        ds.b #MAXSPRITE + 1; horizontal position of sprites
vpos        ds.b #MAXSPRITE + 1; vertical position of sprites
sprvmot     ds.b #MAXSPRITE + 1; vertical motion for sprites
sprhmot     ds.b #MAXSPRITE + 1; horizontal motion for sprite
sizes       ds.b #MAXSPRITE + 1; list of sprite sizes
sprtmot     ds.b #MAXSPRITE + 1; list of sprite motion values
flglst      ds.b #MAXSPRITE + 1; flags used for conflicts
sprtlst     ds.b #MAXSPRITE + 1
shapes      ds.b #MAXSPRITE + 1; list of sprite shapes
sprtstatus  ds.b #MAXSPRITE + 1; various status variables for sprites
sprttmpvar  ds.b #MAXSPRITE + 1; temp var for sprite

You see, he uses 22 bytes for the first sprite, another 11 for every additional one.
For six bullets this would be 77 bytes, which is already more than I have, even without any shootable obstacles. I maybe can save some bytes here & there, I'll analyze that. But I'm not too sure if it's really worth the effort.

We'll see :-)

Greetings,
     Manuel

-