Re: [stella] VCS Hard Drive

Subject: Re: [stella] VCS Hard Drive
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 21:23:29 -0500
On Sunday 19 January 2003 20:40, Adam Wozniak wrote:
> I used to work at Xing Technology, before they got bought out by Real
> Networks.  I can't count the number of times I've had to read through
> ISO/IEC 11172 and 13818.

Ah.  Well, of *course* it's not going to work if you use Xing's encoder. ;)

> What OS does your Helio run?

At the moment, the included VT-OS (which is open source, but pretty limited);
there is a Linux flash image you can replace it with but I'll probably try to
get my interface working in the Helio emulator before flashing it with Linux.
They include a lot of stuff in the default image that I don't really want to
include for a single purpose cuttle cart jukebox.

> If you can't pipe the output from makewav into the sound device, it should
> be a simple matter to hack the makewav source to write directly to it.

Yes, it should.  I can't say it will be till I try it, though :)

> Haven't looked, but I'm fairly certain .bin will be smaller than .mp3.

MP3's end up being anywhere from 10 to 30 times larger than bins, yes, while
still being maybe 1/16th the size of red book audio (since you can make mono
mp3's) but that's the whole point of this exercise.  All 1500 roms converted
to mp3 at a fairly high bitrate came to about 200MB; uncompressed, the bins
are around 16MB.  In a ZIP file they're less than 8MB, so I have hope of
getting them all onto the Helio when I do this.

Rob