Re: [stella] Stella Emulator and .PRO files

Subject: Re: [stella] Stella Emulator and .PRO files
From: "Chris Larkin" <clarkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:11:02 -0800
> I'm writing to see how others have their emulator hooked into their
> development environment?  Me, I'm using visual studio and I hit f7 to
> compile, or f5 to compile and run.  Compilation happens, Z26 is loaded and
> my game is running almost immediately.  I can't do that with stella... and
> I'd like to be able to.
>
> What are you other developers doing?

I use PCAEWin... The colors are a bit too dark, but otherwise the emulation
is perfect, and it has the best debug features of any other emulator.  While
most don't work... viewing and changing just about every register and RAM
location is a treat sometimes.

After you have loaded your rom the first time, by selecting it from the file
list, (No .PRO required) each time you compile after that... all you have to
do is click the lightning bolt icon (Which resets emulation) and then the
green light icon and your new version will start right up.  The emu also
runs windowed, and my text editor runs in windows and compiles through DASM
with the click of a button... so not having to leave to a DOS shell really
makes coding easier.

I am not very fond of Cyberstella due to it's support of incorrect scan
lines.  If I accidentally have 270 scan lines in my program, I want the
picture to look crapped up... Cyberstella will display it correctly... Then
of course Z26 will give you an exact scan line count :-) Which is the best
feature ever ;-).

--Chris