Re: [stella] DiscoTech

Subject: Re: [stella] DiscoTech
From: Mark De Smet <de-smet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:48:45 -0600 (CST)

> The original idea is to incorperate the Dancing Baby demo and Paul's
> music into a dancing game. Controller's would be joystick, keypad or
> (hopefully) NES Power Pad (with interface, obviously). Though Eduardo's
> design may be a better option to a Power Pad interface (which looks like
> it may need an external power supply). There would also be a variety of
> levels with the Dancing Baby as the penultimate level (or something).

FYI, speaking from experience, no you do not need an extra power supply to
adapt the power pad.  The joystick port puts out +5V and ground, so
stealing 10 or 20mA is no problem.

I modified the power pad to have 2 plugs on it, the original NES one, and
the 2600 one, both functional.  Alternatively,
you could make an adaptor with an oscilator,
shift register and a couple flops.

If someone does a conversion, might I suggest the following layout?

Using the numbered side:

Fire   Fire   Up     Fire
Right  Left   Fire   Right
Left   Up     Down   Right

You will note that this allows the standard joystick directions on the
right, with the fire button in center and top positions.  Also, the bottom
row is compatible with the Foot Craz pad.  Further, the left side (with
the right and left buttons right next to each other) is perfect for games
like decathlon.

Mark