Re: [stella] DiscoTech

Subject: Re: [stella] DiscoTech
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 22:21:44 +0100
> Is there an advantage to using the PSX pad?  Seems like the NES pad is
> easier to interface, costs the same (often less), and is big enough for
two
> simultaneous players.  Plus, personally I'd prefer to see a vintage pad
> rather than modern one hooked up to the 2600.  NES controller extension
> cords are around too.  There are quite a few on ebay.  They're a bit more
> than the PSX ones, but none of them are selling so I bet you could get
them
> cheaper.

PSX dance pads and extension cables are still available in stores
over here since they are compatible with the PS2. Also you can find
used ones cheply on ebay Germany too. I'm not sure if the NES power
pad was ever released over here. And the only ones I could find
on ebay were on ebay US, and buying from there is more complicated
and cost more due to the higher shipping costs.

I don't know how the situation is in other counties, but I would
say that from an international perspective the PSX dance pads
are the easier solution. Also I'm assuming that the PSX dance pads
are more wide spead than the NES power pads, so chances that people
already own one are probably bigger too.

The code for reading PSX pads on the VCS probably isn't that
complicated and big. So maybe it would be possible to include
handling routines for all those controller types and let the
user select them with the difficulty switches or something.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg