RE: [stella] Reflex: Paddle woes

Subject: RE: [stella] Reflex: Paddle woes
From: "Paul Slocum" <paul-stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 12:07:21 -0600
I agree with Kirk: this looks like a driving controller game to me. You'd have to spin the controller a bunch of times to get all the way around the board, but playing it, I notice you usually don't have to move very far between hits. I think there's a good chance it could work.

I think paddles would not work very well. The fact that they have a stop point would be really annoying. I seriously doubt you could get paddle reading code in there anyway. You'd probably have to read them on every scanline in the kernal, and I don't see that happening. And I'm skeptical about whether you can get enough resolution reading them in Overscan and/or VBlank.

I looked at your kernal and I'm thinking you can probably free up quite a few cycles by unrolling it. You've got plenty of free space anyway. Not sure what else you want to add, but you've already got a few free cycles. I bet you could display a couple of missiles or the ball. Maybe add some powerups or something?

Anyway, the game looks great.

-paul