game prototyping language

Subject: game prototyping language
From: Tom Dunn <td629@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:15:39 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

I built a programming environment for children and beginning programmers a few years ago and have
been working on it here and there since then.  It occurred to me that some of you may find it
useful for game prototyping.

http://judo.sourceforge.net/

It is based on Java, except writing programs with graphics and user input is very easy.  All you
have to do is write a "void main()" function and put all your graphics and user input code right
in there, like this:

void main () {
	int width = getDrawingWidth() / 4;
	int height = getDrawingHeight() / 8;

	setColor(red);
	fillRectangle(100, 100, width, height);

	setColor(purple);
	drawOval(200, 200, width, height);
}

You click on the run button, and your program pops open in a new window.

You can do keyboard I/O as well as respond to key press and mouse events.  If you download it,
check out the program "Look Out" that you can get from the File menu -> Open Program.  Its based
on Kaboom.  There are a bunch of samples in that Open Program dialog as well as the Open Sample
Program dialog.  And there is a function reference and tutorials under the help menu.

-Tom