game prototyping language

Subject: game prototyping language
From: Tom Dunn <td629@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:15:39 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

I built a programming environment for children and beginning programmers a few years ago and have
been working on it here and there since then.  It occurred to me that some of you may find it
useful for game prototyping.

It is based on Java, except writing programs with graphics and user input is very easy.  All you
have to do is write a "void main()" function and put all your graphics and user input code right
in there, like this:

void main () {
	int width = getDrawingWidth() / 4;
	int height = getDrawingHeight() / 8;

	fillRectangle(100, 100, width, height);

	drawOval(200, 200, width, height);

You click on the run button, and your program pops open in a new window.

You can do keyboard I/O as well as respond to key press and mouse events.  If you download it,
check out the program "Look Out" that you can get from the File menu -> Open Program.  Its based
on Kaboom.  There are a bunch of samples in that Open Program dialog as well as the Open Sample
Program dialog.  And there is a function reference and tutorials under the help menu.

Do you Yahoo!?