Re: [stella] AtariVox EEPROM file format

Subject: Re: [stella] AtariVox EEPROM file format
From: "Lee Fastenau" <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 16:21:47 -0700
> The first three bytes in the EEPROM block are the file type
> prefix. Also the MSB in the first byte specifies wether the
> block is used (0) or still empty (1).
>
> The next 8 bytes contain the file name, but if any of these
> bytes has the MSB set to 1, this means that this is the
> last character of the filename, and that the following bytes
> will be used for data.

By using 6 bits per character and two high bits to terminate the filename, you could free up two bytes.

8*11 bits = 11 bytes
vs.
6*11 bits + 2 high bits = 68 bits = 9 bytes

Also, I don't think 4 characters is too limiting for users.  If you consider input and display challenges not to mention RAM requirements, it may be more reasonable.  I can see two-character initials plus two-character version number being "easy enough" to remember.  But that's just me. :)

-Lee