Re: [stella] AtariVox EEPROM file format

Subject: Re: [stella] AtariVox EEPROM file format
From: Paul Slocum <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 17:47:30 -0600

By using 6 bits per character and two high bits to terminate the filename, you could free up two bytes.

But using the system we are proposing, if situation comes up where it's critical that a program get two extra bytes (which I think is very unlikely), you do have the option of shortening the program filename length to get those bytes.

Also, I don't think 4 characters is too limiting for users. If you consider input and display challenges not to mention RAM requirements, it may be more reasonable. I can see two-character initials plus two-character version number being "easy enough" to remember. But that's just me. :)

I think it really needs to have 8. People using my music program could realistically end up storing a lot of music files on there. It will be important to have the ability to name them descriptively.

-paul