Re: [stella] Crazy Balloon Update

Subject: Re: [stella] Crazy Balloon Update
From: Manuel Rotschkar <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:02:33 -0500
Hi there!

Dennis wrote:
>>> 1) Why do the moving platforms flicker?
>> It's the ball. I just made it look like the PF ;-)

> I guess I still don't understand.
> I haven't gone through the source yet. Do you not have enough time to
> adjust the ball's position mid frame?

Hm... you mean repositioning? Would be tough to do I think. I'd need to
determine a 2LK block inbetween the two spikes where there's "no balloon"
to be drawn.

Is the flicker worse enough justifying another 60-80 bytes of ROM for two
additional kernel lines? After all there's only 2 out of the 16 levels
that have them.

While my crazy-balloon-engine is pretty flexible, I avoided coding any
single-level-extra-stuff so far in favor of more general mechanics.

Lee wrote:
> And while the suggestion may not be faithful to the arcade, I think
> Thomas's suggestion about inertia would be cool.

Heh, why don't you guys play Thrust then? I heard there's a pretty good
2600 version available? ;-)

Albert wrote:
> Are you going to add additional levels beyond what the arcade game has?

I think so, yes. Probably not for the Mini Game Contest version though. I
currently have more than 1K remaining, but I'm running out of space
quickly...

I also have a nasty additional idea for a new obstacle for the balloon,
which I plan to have as a replacement for a certain effect that I can't
recreate on the VCS...

Thomas wrote:
> How about using different colors for the levels?

Sounds good. I'll add a color member to the layout object.
(Heya, now I'm talking! OOP in 65XX assembly! ;-))

>> Don't think it's possible. For one I'm reading the PF data from
>> pointers and then... is my balloon a 1LK sprite :-)

> Well, you are using still SkipDraw (try SwitchDraw!), WSYNC and SLEEP.
> So there just *might* be enough space. :-)

Hm... well, I could now tell you that I really like the striped look and
that it is IMHO even closer to the "spikes" of the arcade than a solid
appearance, BUT: I really want to see you finding the required 32 cycles
;-)

Greetings,
	Manuel