Re: SDATA entity mapping in Jade

Subject: Re: SDATA entity mapping in Jade
From: Stephen J. Tinney <stinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:54:49 -0400 (EDT)
Daniel Speck <dspeck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>So, until Jade supports SDATA entity mapping, how would one go about
>faking it?

Disclaimer: I am very new at this game, so caveat lector.

I have experimented with this and come up with the following:

Given an entity definition in, say, ent.sgm:

<!ENTITY c      SDATA "[c     ]" -- lower case shin -- >

One can use catalogs to redirect jade to use another
entity set, say, ent-jade.sgm, in which the definitions look
like this:

<!ENTITY c      "&U-0161;" -- lower case shin -- >
<!ENTITY U-0161 SDATA "">

What this does is first map the &c; entities to &U-0161; and then
remap that to an `SDATA entity name of the form U-XXXX', which is what
Jade supports for character entities.  The output will now have the
UTF version of 0x0161 wherever &c; occurs.

I'm not quite sure what your goal is and hence, whether this helps or
not.  One can at least persuade Jade to output Unicode values for
entities, then remap them into a local character set, if that is what
you need.

In the TeX FOT, this produces things like
\insertCharacter{\def\Ch{353}}.  For working with Omega (TeX that
understands Unicode), it would be useful to be able to produce UTF
instead of the insertCharacter business.

 Steve

- --
Steve Tinney                                        Babylonian Section
                                 *   University of Pennsylvania Museum
stinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                          Phila, PA. 215-898-4047