Re: DSSSL Documentation Project?

Subject: Re: DSSSL Documentation Project?
From: Harvey Bingham <hbingham@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 22:28:04 -0400
At 18:26 1997/06/13 -0400, Harvey Bingham wrote as a first fragment:
>Why

I meant to include the following as motivation:

I'd like to share with the group why the Yuri Rubinsky Insight Foundation
is an appropriate beneficiary of continued public work on DSSSL.

Among Yuri's many interests were moving DSSSL along on the web and elsewhere.
At SGML '94 many of us gathered in Yuri's hotel room to discuss forming a
group of DSSSL potential implementers. He wanted to discourage the several
proprietary solutions that were appearing for user agents that would accept
SGML. DSSSL was the first work since FOSI days to attempt in a public way
the description of presentation from SGML applications.

Between SGML '95 and WWW3 in Boston, both of which Yuri chaired or
co-chaired, he called a meeting of about dozen DSSSL developers to discuss
what then was called core-DSSSL. To keep the many curious out of the meeting
room, he listed it on the Hotel announcer screens as the
   "Dog Sledding, Skating, and Skiing League".

We spent the day developing what we could have in common. The DSSSL-O ideas
were better formalized there. I am sure he saw the opportunity for DSSSL
to achieve suitable user agents that address accessibility issues.

The following Monday, Mike Paciello (now the Executive Director of the
Yuri Rubinsky Insight Foundation), Yuri, and some others held an accessibility
workshop at WWW3. I was in a different workshop. At the first coffee break,
Yuri buttonholed me in the hall and enthusiastically invited me in to that
accessibility workshop. That encounter has caused a significant change in my
awareness of accessibility issues, and started me to focus on them. I expect
that we can do much with DSSSL. I'm sure Yuri would be delighted at this
continuing work we are doing, for DSSSL and for the YRIF.

Regards/Harvey Bingham

>At 15:02 1997/06/13 +0000, David Pawson <DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>How about attributing the DSSSL handbook copyright to
>>Yuri Rubinsky
                Insight