Re: DSSSL Documentation Project?

Subject: Re: DSSSL Documentation Project?
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 07:43:24 -0400
Harvey Bingham wrote:

> At 18:26 1997/06/13 -0400, Harvey Bingham wrote as a first fragment:
> >Why
>
> I meant to include the following as motivation:
>
> I'd like to share with the group why the Yuri Rubinsky Insight Foundation
> is an appropriate beneficiary of continued public work on DSSSL.

That the foundation might benefit from our work is a very good thing. If
the foundation ever wants to publish it for education or profit, I would
certainly allow them to. I wouldn't have put it on the Internet if I
didn't want other people to have access to it. I am very glad this idea
has been raised because a relationship between the foundation and this
project would be a good thing. I hope that they would publish it
someday, or just use parts of it to promote the goal of accessability.
But between now and then, I would rather administer (some) control of it
myself.

I already use and publish my tutorial for courses that I teach. Would I
have to contact the foundation to get permission to do this in the
future? What if the combined manual is not publishable for another two
years. Perhaps in the meantime, a publisher wants to publish a portion
of it.  The foundation would have to negotiate with them on behalf of
the relevant authors. The foundation might reject an offer that I would
have accepted. That sounds like a hassle for all parties.

It is better to let the authors do their own negotiation until the
foundation feels it really wants to publish the thing for the
foundation's own benefit, at which we could each give them a license. Or
else we could each give them a license to republish the materials at the
time we submit it.

 Pual Prescod