Re: Character entity mapping

Subject: Re: Character entity mapping
From: Chris Maden <crism@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 11:39:14 -0400
[Tony Graham]
> Personally, I contend that &alpha; should come from the Symbol font,
> and &agr; is what you should use if you want an alpha that looks
> like ordinary text (i.e. from the Greek code page).

I agree, but unfortunately, ISO/IEC 10646 doesn't have different code
points for mathematical and linguistic Greek:

geode-5> grep -i alpha iso10646.txt
<A%>    /x03/x86        GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ALPHA WITH TONOS
<A*>    /x03/x91        GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ALPHA
<a%>    /x03/xac        GREEK SMALL LETTER ALPHA WITH TONOS
<a*>    /x03/xb1        GREEK SMALL LETTER ALPHA

Since DSSSL uses 10646 as its internal character model, I don't think
there's a way to differentiate between the two characters without
registering a new character.  Given 10646's limitations in the
technical areas, I think JaDE is doing the best it can.

-Chris
"<URL>http://www.oreilly.com/ <TEL>+1.617.499.7487 <FAX>+1.617.661.1116