Re: Character entity mapping

Subject: Re: Character entity mapping
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 11:29:40 -0400 (EDT)
At 28 Aug 1997 12:59 +0200, Slot, Gerald wrote:
 > I would like to know how a character entity is translated to a system
 > specific character with jade. When I use standard isolat1 entities in my
 > documents they are converted good with jade to rtf. But when I use
 > entities from isogrk3 for example &alpha; they are not converted
 > correctly. How can I prevent this?

You may find that they are being handled correctly, but not in the way
you expect.

If you check the font name in Word for the character output for
&alpha;, it's probably "Something Greek", where "Something" is the
name of the font you are using.  Jade is using the Greek code page to
get the character for &alpha;.  If you have Windows 95 Multilanguage
Support installed and you are using one of the fonts for which
Multilanguage Support installs the Greek font (Arial, Courier New, or
Times New Roman) then you will see your &alpha; correctly.

If you're not using one of those three base fonts, then you're out of
luck.

You can install Multilanguage Support from the "Windows Setup" tab of
the "Add/Remove Programs" control panel.

Personally, I contend that &alpha; should come from the Symbol font,
and &agr; is what you should use if you want an alpha that looks like
ordinary text (i.e. from the Greek code page).

Regards,

Tony Graham