An open challenge: HTML 4.0 tables

Subject: An open challenge: HTML 4.0 tables
From: Jon.Bosak@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jon Bosak)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 13:11:42 -0700
The W3C XML WG finds itself needing a table model for its
specifications.  Since we're hoping that our spec DTD can be used for
other W3C specs, we would like to get this right.  Problem is,
implementing a general table model in DSSSL is a real technical
challenge.  The only one I know of in the public domain is the one
that Anders Berglund wrote for my DocBook style sheet, which is now
being maintained in much better shape than I wrote it by Norm Walsh.
But for W3C specs we want to use the HTML 4.0 table model, which as it
happens is a pretty good one.

Here's a direct challenge to all on this list who consider themselves
to be DSSSL experts: to whom shall the honor fall of being the first
to contribute a DSSSL implementation of HTML 4.0 tables?

There's no money in this, but the winner is guaranteed a place in
history and the admiration of all right-thinking people.

Jon