Re: An open challenge: HTML 4.0 tables

Subject: Re: An open challenge: HTML 4.0 tables
From: Vivek Agrawala <vivek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 12:02:50 -0400
Jon Bosak wrote:

> The W3C XML WG finds itself needing a table model for its
> specifications.  Since we're hoping that our spec DTD can be used for
> other W3C specs, we would like to get this right.  Problem is,
> implementing a general table model in DSSSL is a real technical
> challenge.  The only one I know of in the public domain is the one
> that Anders Berglund wrote for my DocBook style sheet, which is now
> being maintained in much better shape than I wrote it by Norm Walsh.
> But for W3C specs we want to use the HTML 4.0 table model, which as it
> happens is a pretty good one.
>
> Here's a direct challenge to all on this list who consider themselves
> to be DSSSL experts: to whom shall the honor fall of being the first
> to contribute a DSSSL implementation of HTML 4.0 tables?

I don't really expect to have the time to do this, but
would like to find out more about what is involved.

Could someone with a better understanding explain what the
problems are?  And, what should the DSSSL implementation
output -- RTF or something else?

-- Vivek Agrawala
Siemens Corporate Research, Inc.	email: vivek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx