Re: An open challenge: HTML 4.0 tables

Subject: Re: An open challenge: HTML 4.0 tables
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 14:34:48 +0700
Chris Maden wrote:

> The reason for this is that <TABLE WIDTH="50%"> means that the table
> should be 50% of the current width.  I'm not sure how to determine
> that.  The HTML 3.2 stylesheet modified by Nigel Software AG relies on
> a variable that is also used to create the simple-page-sequence; does
> anyone know how to determine the currently available width?  If that's
> known, than I can figure out the table width and then the width of
> columns that use percentages.

You can handle <TABLE WIDTH="50%"> by using (* (display-size) .5). To
handle a column width of 20%, use (table-unit 20), or (* 20 (table-unit
1)) if you need fractional percentages.  Note that you can't use
(display-size) to calculate percentage column widths yourself. This may
not do the right thing when some column widths are percentages and some
are pixels; I don't know what semantics HTML specifies for this.

James